I Could Have Written That!

Musings about the field of educational technology and life in general

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Truly assessing the capabilities of an online learner

I’ve often wondered how an online teacher keeps track of her students and their various contributions during the span of time a semester course runs. As a student I assume my instructors know me and are well aware of what contributions I’ve made not only in my current class, but also in previous classes I’ve taken from them. After all, that’s the way it would be in an on ground degree program. Right?

My daughter, for example, is only one semester behind me in her quest for a master’s degree. However, she is on a campus working on her degree in person: taking classes, teaching classes, researching, and interacting daily with her professors. Is there any doubt the teachers know who she is and what her talents are? None! Is my expectation that my capabilities be just as clear in my online professor’s minds realistic? I’m not sure.

Ko and Rossen give what seems to me to be great advice when they recommend that folders be kept for each student’s work and your own notes about his/her contributions. That would be one way to attempt to put the whole person together into one package despite the fact you’ve never met them face to face.

Unfortunately, I don’t even know where to begin to find articles dealing with the psychology of getting to really know a person you never interact with face-to-face, but being an old student of both communication and psychology, I certainly find the ability to truly assess a student’s capabilities when you’ve only interacted online perplexing. This gives me great pause for thought, especially when I think about the job recommendations I will want in a few months!

1 Comments:

At 1:10 AM , Blogger AnnR said...

I also liked the idea of keeping folders for each student--digital or paper or both.

Your last paragraph of soul searching gives me food for thought. It's one of the many new problems that are part of this new online landscape.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home